NALTREXONE INJECTION AND VIVITROL
- What is Naltrexone injection?
- What is Vivtrol?
- Should I have Naltrexone injection or Naltrexone implant?
- Should I have Vivitrol shot?
For patients who wish to avoid a surgical intervention related to the implant fitting procedure, there Naltrexone injection. It is a liquid extended-release formulation of Naltrexone depot.
Naltrexone injection is an oil salt solution releasing Naltrexone fatty acids slowly into the bloodstream. During one month there is a sufficient concentration of Naltrexone in blood serum. Therefore, it provides the necessary protection from opiate drugs.
Naltrexone in oil is a transparent liquid.
Vivitrol shot works exactly the same as Naltrexone shot.
Injection of Naltrexone is sold in 15 ml vials (made of dimmed glass).
Advantages of Naltrexone shot over Naltrexone implants:
Surgical intervention is not required, which means:
- No need for a licensed surgeon and a surgical hall because a surgical intervention is not required
- Local anesthesia is not required
- No need for follow-up treatment like wound dressing change, removing the stitches, etc.
- Risk of complications after the surgical procedure is avoided
- No foreign object under the skin because Naltrexone shot is an oil solution
- No risk of rejection like in the case of Naltrexone implant
- Injection doesn't leave a scar
Disadvantage of Naltrexone in Oil (Naltrexone injection)
- Only one month duration of opioid blocking effect. You have to reinject Naltrexone on the monthly basis.
- Administration of Naltrexone injection. It may be painful because it's a thick solution.
What is VIVITROL shot?
Vivitrol shot has exactly the same effect like Naltrexone injection because they are both made of Naltrexone substance.
Alkermes Inc. USA developed a medication Vivitrol (Naltrexone for extended-release injectable suspension). Alkemeres Inc. had been working on new Naltrexone polymer formula for more than 10 years.
Vivitrol is an extended-release, microsphere formulation of naltrexone. Vivitrol shot is designed to be administered by intramuscular (IM) gluteal injection. Administration of this type of Naltrexone depot is on every 4 weeks or once a month. The vivitrol injection must be administered using the safety needle supplied, and the carton components provided.
Vivitrol microspheres consist of a sterile, off-white to light tan powder that is available in a dosage strength of 380 mg naltrexone per vial. Naltrexone is incorporated in 75:25 polylactide-co-glycolide (PLG) at a concentration of 337 mg of naltrexone per gram of microspheres. Because of that the diluent is a clear, colorless solution. The composition of the diluent includes carboxymethylcellulose sodium salt. Also contains polysorbate 20, sodium chloride, and water for injection. The microspheres must be suspended in the diluent prior to injection.
Feel free to mail us at email@example.com with any further questions.
Are there any side effects to Naltrexone solution injectable (Naltrexone injection)?
Vivtrol shot or Naltrexone shot?
Ask our experts:
+44 20 3289 8289
Are Naltrexone injections available in England, UK?
Naltrexone in oil by Pellet Technologies